Oblate Voices is a JPIC blog that follows stories of hope and is about how Oblates and associates live and experience mission work in the spirit of the Oblate founder, St Eugene De Mazenod of responding to the needs of poor and most abandoned around the world.

Friday, October 30, 2015

Oblate Bishop Pastoral Encounters: Challenges in Education Sector in Western Province – Zambia


In his monthly newsletter, Oblate Bishop Evans Chinyemba OMI of Mongu Diocese in Zambia writes about many school infrastructure challenges and lack of basic educational opportunities faced by teachers and students in rural areas of Western Province.

By Bishop Evans Chinyama Chinyemba, O.M.I., Bishop of Mongu, ZAMBIA

Banabahesu, in my outreach to the parishes I take time to visit any nearby school, whether community school, government school or mission school. I am always well-received by the teachers. In Lukulu we gathered with the pupils and teachers of Lukulu’s St. Columba’s Secondary School. I realize the many challenges our schools go through, yet the staff and the pupils do their best in raising the standard of the school. In Mitete district, I met with a teacher who is at a school that began in 1942 and is still housed in a grass-thatched house. In a place called Kashinangombe, the only two teachers at the school are faced with the challenge of fetching water from Dongwe River. At some schools that go up to grade 7, there is only one teacher. 


This is the case of Kakenge Mwalye of Senanga and many other rural schools. Who can forget the story of the one teacher at Mbumi managing the whole school, while the second teacher is out on duty in Lukulu.  My pastoral encounters with the teachers who teach in rural schools make me aware of the importance of a good quality education. In many parts of our rural Barotseland, schools are very understaffed. Teachers have no decent accommodation. Classrooms cannot be termed 'classrooms that motivate teachers and the pupils'. Yet, I admire the teachers who have the courage to be in these schools. I am even more impressed with the courage of the pupils who find themselves walking long distances to reach their school. 

In some cases, I interact with pupils from various grades and I am interested to hear them read something. At times, it is difficult for even those in grades 7 or 9 to read and it is always a cheer when one in grade 4 volunteers to read and reads well. I will not forget the weekly boarders who, during weekends, travel home sometimes half a day’s walk to get their weekly food supply. Banabahesu, these are encounters that keep me asking why should it be like this in our situation! In the midst of all these challenges, one at times finds some determined young girl or boy who desires to complete their education and become a doctor or someone important in society. 

I am reminded of young Karen Kalukango who is in grade 6 and decided to write her name on her exercise book as Dr. Karen Kalukango. Impressive! This is a sign of hope that despite the many challenges pupils go through in rural areas, an eye for the future is seen. I promised to continue checking on her every time so that her dream is not extinguished.

My other encounters are those I have with young mothers. These are very young girls who are supposed to be in school yet most of them are either married or having children with no hope or desire of ever getting back to school. The future of our rural places will always remain a challenge since we do not have many people who finish school and are therefore not able to think of developing their places. When you ask why they getting married at such age, you get various answers. The common one is: we are grown up and it is time to get married. Traditionally, when they say they are grown up, they know what it means to naturally grow up. In our world today especially in rural areas, there is competition to see who gets married first and who has a child first. The second response is we are old enough. Why should I not get married or not have a child since my peers are married or have children. Once in a while you will find someone who says I dropped out of school and got married because I had no support to see me through. Well, we have been talking of the girl child and the question of marriage. 

Yet in my encounters, I also meet boys who are supposed to be in school but have decided to marry because everyone is doing it. How can a boy get married and manage a home!  Here we are, the girl child and boy child are at a crossroad. Banabahesu, my encounters are not only with young girls and boys who are married, but also with their parents and guardians. I have spoken in all our parishes of the need for parents and guardians to make sure that their children go to school. Let the children blame themselves for not having taken education seriously, than in the future blame their parents for forcing them into early marriages. 

Banabahesu, our encounters also inspire me. The spirituality behind self-sustainability moves us towards finding other ways of improving our parishes. In St. Martin de Porres parish, the Out Station of St. Peter around TBZ annually cultivate maize which they sell to supplement the finances of their Out Stations. How I wish many of our Outstations could borrow this idea especially those Outstations that have good land.

My other encounters are those with some retired civil servants. Having labored as teachers, as police persons, as nurses and other jobs, the retired officers are ready to offer their time to the life of the Church.

Banabahesu, I am grateful for these many encounters, which teach me a lot about how diverse our diocese is. As already noted, many of these encounters are difficult for they call us to reflect together what best we should do. May Mary our Mother, who has journeyed with us in the month of October, continue to guide us through and through.

*The full article originally appeared in the Mongu Diocese monthly newsletter – October 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment