Oblate Voices is a JPIC blog that follows stories of hope and is about how Oblates and associates live and experience mission work in the spirit of the Oblate founder, St Eugene De Mazenod of responding to the needs of poor and most abandoned around the world.

Friday, February 13, 2015

Ash Wednesday Reflection: Sharing Our Oblate Cross

By Brother Tembo Michael OMI,
Oblate Sexton House of Studies - San Antonio Texas

Sunday, February 8th, 2015, St. Bonaventure Parish in San Antonio, Texas organized a talk on Consecrated Life and two Zambian Oblate scholastics represented the Missionary Oblates; Brother Felix Nyambe OMI and Brother Michael Tembo OMI. The event had more three hundred students, First Graders to the Tenth Graders. 

Brother Felix encouraged the young people to take time and listen to their inner voice and see where God was calling them to be. He said, “The World is in need of healing. The world needs us. The world is waiting for doctors, teachers, priests, brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers. You and I are God’s instrument of Joy. 

This world is hurting and needs someone to give it a smiling face. Yes! You and I are the answer to the problems our brothers and sisters are facing.  You and I have to share our joys with them. You and the entire religious men and women gathered here today must be read to make our hands dirty by reading the signs of time.”

In addition Brother Tembo OMI, asked the students to study hard and pay attention to the advice parents give them. He asked the young participants gather to share what they have with those children who don’t have what they have.

And from the audience echoed the voice: “Yes, it is our responsibility to share what we have. We have to share our toys, our clothes, food and time with those suffering.” This was from a Seventh Grader. This voice was so strong that those next to the young boy went silent.

After the talk was over, while waiting for Mass, to celebrate Year of Consecrated life, there was time to socialize with the participants. There were many questions asked to the religious present at St Bonaventure.
One young person pulled the mother and approached one of the Oblates and asked if she could hold the Oblate Cross.  This drew the attention of others who wanted to hold and kiss the Cross.
The Oblate Cross
The concerned girl asked many question regarding the Oblate Cross. I wish I had all the answer to the questions asked. I saw the tears of joy in the eyes of the young girl and others as they took turns kissing and wearing the OMI Cross. I saw how the young girl did hold the Cross with tenderness and love. I saw you her tearing, wanting to hold on to the Cross.
Of all questions asked, these have remained bothering me. She asked: “What is special about this Cross that I cannot have it also? What must I do to have this Cross in our house? Can I ask my parents to buy this Oblate Cross for me? I love this Oblate Cross? Please give it to me?"

The questions asked by the young girl calls for deep reflection on all of us. “What is special about Lent this year? What must we do to poses happiness in our lives, house and our hurting generation?
Can we ask ourselves as Oblates, does our community equip us effectively with means of evangelization? Can we use our talents and gifts and time for the betterment of others? Can we beg to have the pearl?
Like I responded to the young person, what was she was to do to have the Oblate Cross? I wish I had all the answers the many questions the hurting people are asking. But at times we have to love and live the hard questions about life.

I suppose the answer lies in sharing being, being present in the lives of those hurting through first of all, attending to their bodily needs. We are to share our being. The three pillars of Lent summarize our being: Almsgiving Prayer, and Fasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment