Oblate Voices is a JPIC blog that follows stories of hope and is about how Oblates and associates live and experience mission work in the spirit of the Oblate founder, St Eugene De Mazenod of responding to the needs of poor and most abandoned around the world.

Friday, January 23, 2015

I AM NIGERIA - I AM ALSO CHARLEY JE SUIS AUSSI CHARLIE

By Fr. Ali C Nnaemeka, O.M.I.


FR. ALI IS A MISSIONARY OBLATE WORKING IN CANADA. UNTIL RECENTLY, HE WAS A PASTOR IN HIS COUNTRY OF NIGERIA. IN THIS ARTICLE, FR ALI REFLECTS ON THE URGENCY FOR MORE  STRONG MORAL VOICES AND ACTIONS TO HELP VICTIMS IN NORTHERN NIGERIA MASSACRES.
Charlie Hebdo: They were journalists who stood for free speech. May their souls rest in Eternal Peace. May our Lord bless and comfort their families during this time of grief.
Join in prayer for the safe return of the Nigerian schoolgirls who were kidnapped from their school, separated from their families. We pray for their safety, swift rescue and return to their homes. To the grieving parents and families, comfort them in their distress and hear our prayers for their beloved daughters
The terrible and dreadful terrorist attack of last week that killed founder of Charlie Hebdo and 11 others is  the most notorious of its kind this year. It was an incident that future generations should never forget.
However, the situation provokes an important question: Did the perpetrators of the dastardly act succeed in silencing Charlie Hebdo? The answer is obvious, because in killing those journalists, the terrorists ended up resurrecting thousands of other ‘Charleys’. And since their death, « Je suis Charlie » has become the new slogan of all those who believe in freedom of expression.
     From Paris to Montréal, from Élysée to the White House, from the Imam of Paris to the Pope, etc. Condemnations poured in over the contemptible act by the terrorists.
      In 2014, I, the northern Nigerian Charleys, died more than 3500 times. More than 250 of my young girls were kidnapped, without the world organising an international summit on terrorism. Another innumerable ‘Charlies’ were been massacred by the members of Boko Haram at Baga in Northern Nigeria.  
     While I am being battered and burned, my Nigerian president and his political opponents are roaming the country, well armed, in 2015 electoral campaigns.
While I am dying, all the Nigerian politicians’ are interested in is going about promising Nigerians fake roads to construct, an utopic peace to create, still-non-realisable security they would provide, invisible schools to be constructed, etc.
Even my compatriots and the religious leaders are not concerned with my situation. What matters most for them is which presidential candidate is from their tribe, or is a member of their religious group.
Yet, Je suis aussi Charlie! 
     I am really Charley! How would I not be Charley when I see that African presidents, just like their fellow western presidents, have finally realised that terrorism is an evil to be eliminated?
    The presence of six African Presidents in Paris during the solidarity rally offers me some hope that maybe these leaders can now do more to help stop massacres in Nigeria.
    I am Charley and I die every day in Northern Nigeria and even if no one speaks about it, I will always remain Charlie. Je suis aussi Charlie! 
Fr. Ali C Nnaemeka, O.M.I
Mani-Utenam, (Québec)

Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment