Oblate Voices is a JPIC blog that follows stories of hope and is about how Oblates and associates live and experience mission work in the spirit of the Oblate founder, St Eugene De Mazenod of responding to the needs of poor and most abandoned around the world.

Friday, July 15, 2016

Learning About Justice and Peace in Washington, DC: Deaglan McKillop Reflects on Recent Internship

My name is Deaglan McKillop. I’m 20 years old from Liverpool, England studying law at the University of Liverpool. During this summer I spent my time interning with the Missionary Oblates JPIC office in Washington, DC and the Pontifical Mission Societies in New York City.

I spent two weeks interning in Washington, D.C. During my time at the Missionary Oblates JPIC office I took part in day-to-day work, but also had the opportunity to attend various meetings and events.

I attended the summit for Rural America, an event where expert panelists convened to discuss the many problems rural Americans have to deal with in day-to day-life. Panelists discussed how rural Americans have a difficult time accessing medical help as there aren’t enough hospitals nearby, and by the time they reach a hospital or an ambulance reaches them, it can often be too late. Families in rural America tend to move to urban areas seeking better education for their children, as their local school system offers less resources or have poor standards compared to city schools. Speakers on a second panel then discussed some possible ideas to improve the quality of life in rural America. 

One main idea was people’s accessibility to Wi-Fi. Like it was a necessity at the beginning of the 20th century for every home to have electricity, the goal today is for every American home to have access to Wi-Fi. Ensuring rural homes have Wi-Fi allows farmers to connect with each other, sell their commodities and improve the quality of their farms. Also, Wi-Fi plays a crucial role in schools and is an important factor in providing children with a modern education. It was a great experience to witness firsthand various senators discussing such an important topic, which before my arrival to the U.S. was unbeknown to me. I thoroughly enjoyed the discussion and it was good to learn about this problem and the ways in which people can help or are trying to help.

I also attended a meeting at the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops concerning maritime trafficking. This gave me an incredible insight into the dangerous conditions and abuse some workers face at sea, the complicity of some companies and what Catholic organizations are doing to help. Other obligations during my stay included helping with the website and blog editorials. In addition to this, Fr. Seamus Finn, OMI, of the Oblate Investment Trust introduced me to a relatively new concept adopted by the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate about 25 years ago, which is impact investing. This is when investments are made into companies or organizations with the intention to generate a social and environmental impact alongside a financial return. By implementing this, the Missionary Oblates investment trust is ensuring investors are making socially responsible decisions.

On the weekends and my time off I tried to visit everything DC has to offer. From the free museums to the White House, Washington is certainly not short of attractions. I particularly took time to visit many of the museums and was taken aback by how impressive some are, but also how moving – in particular the Holocaust Museum.

During my stay in DC, I was given a true grasp of what Oblate JPIC does. I was able to see how they serve as a resource for the Oblates, support the community and above all, aim to promote peace, justice and the integrity of creation through education and advocacy.  I have truly enjoyed my time here and although it was for a short time, I feel as though I have gained a lot from this experience and I would love to come back again next year.




No comments:

Post a Comment